At the end of last summer, several people suggested that we post the readings and hymns for Sunday services ahead of time to make it easier to prepare. I thought this was a great idea—reflecting upon the readings and hymns for the week ahead can help make worship more prayerful and meaningful.
This week’s readings:
- 2 Corinthians 8:7-15. Paul urges us to practice generosity and seek equality in community.
- Mark 5:21-43. Jesus restores a young girl to life, and a woman who touches the edge of his cloak is healed.
This week’s hymns (United Methodist Hymnal):
- O God, Our Help in Ages Past #117 (Music | Recording)
- All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name #154 (Music | Recording)
- We’ve a Story to Tell to the Nations #569 (Music | Recording)
Preparing for this week: We often experience God through the important people in our lives.
This week, think about a family member to lift up in prayer to God. Perhaps you want to celebrate the blessings of a special person in your life, ask God for healing or guidance for somebody struggling with sickness or hard times, or remember a loved one who has died. Commit to pray for this person in a special way during our Homecoming Sunday.